Roosevelt House History

The story of Roosevelt House, a double townhouse located at 47-49 East 65th Street, begins at the turn of the twentieth century. At Christmastime 1905, Sara Delano Roosevelt promised a new home to her son and daughter-in law, Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, nine months after their marriage. In December 1908, Franklin and Eleanor moved into No. 49 with their two young children, Anna and James, and Sara took up residence at No. 47. Over the course of the next 24 years, Roosevelt House served as the launching pad for Franklin as he began his storied political career, rising from New York State Senator and U.S. Assistant Secretary of the Navy to Governor of New York and President of the United States. It was here that he renewed his strength and optimism after polio left him unable to walk in 1921.